Thursday, January 13, 2011

Teaching your dog two targets

Server temporarily unavailable
December 20th, 2010 by Minette Learning to Target the Hand

I love to teach my dogs to target.  This trick/skill is useful in many facets throughout my dog's lives.  Targeting can also be built upon to teach other skills and more intricate skills, it is a building block to good obedience!

What You Will Need

Getting Started

I like teaching this command with very few distractions so find a secluded areaAt first I like to teach my dog to target gold "touch" my handPut treats in one hand or in a treat bag or your pocketWith the opposite hand, open it wide with your fingers to the side and put it in front of your dog's faceWhen your dog his nose to hand your keys or sniffs at your palm, click and treatContinue opening and closing your hand, click and treat when your dog makes contact with your handKeep doing this until your dog knows what he has to do to get you to click, now you may add the command "touch" next hold your hand higher up, over to the left, the right or behind your backYour dog should follow your palm wherever it is and touch it with his nose on command.If at first he has trouble understanding when you move your hand go back a step and be patient.Once your dog's confidence is built and he understands the command you can have him repeat the behavior a few times before clicking and treating, then you can enter off the clicker. Teaching Your Dog to Target Your Hand Can Help Him Gain Confidence and Approach Things in His Environment

This behavior can be used to help fearful dogs feel more confident in their environment, it also builds a foundation for retrieving for delivering items to a specific area, it can be used for a competition send away, and even in agility.

I have a nervous dog, who is often afraid of things that he does not recognize.  I can use the "touch" command and my hand to get him closer and closer to objects he would not normally approach.  When my hand is on the object it gives him confidence to approach it because he trusts me.  It is also an easy way to get his focus back on me when he is exhibiting apprehension!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment